Explanation of MIPS calculation method is below.
MIPS is a unit representing that 1 million instructions can be executed per second, which is expressed as 1 MIPS.
The number of instruction execution per second is obtained by dividing one second by the execution time of one instruction.
That is, the calculation formula is as follows.
- MIPS = number of instructions executed per second ÷ 10 ^ 6
- number of instructions executed per second = 1 second ÷ execution time of one instruction
- execution time of one instruction = one clock time × CPI
- one clock time = 1 second ÷ clock frequency.
- CPI (Cycles Per Instruction) = the number of instructions that is executed per clock.